Restaurants And Lodging near Cerros Sands
- Francesca’s: Beach Restaurant & Bar at Cerros Sands
- The Tradewinds: Restaurant & Bar at Orchid Bay
- Cerros Beach Resort: Cabanas and Restaurant located on the other side of the peninsula.
- The Copper Bank Inn: Lodging 4 Miles away n Copper Bank with a restaurant.
- The Crimson Orchid at Orchid Bay: Bed and Breakfast, luxury Accommodations just across the water.
- Enrique’s Botana Bar: Restaurant just off the road to Cerros Sands apx 1/2 mile from Copper bank
With a Spanish name that translates to “Maya Hill”, Cerro Maya is located on a peninsula across from the town of Corozal and in the Bay of Chetumal. Cerros is located just over a mile away from Cerros Sands. Archaeological research at the site suggests that it functioned as an important coastal trading center during the Late Preclassic Period (c.a 350 B.C. to A.D. 250). Its tallest temple rises 21 meters above the plaza floor and overlooks the Caribbean Sea which has been steadily eroding numerous prehistoric buildings along the north coast of the site. Much of the site remains unearthed. Piers used by the Mayans are still intact and jut out into the sea. Best to use the dock when approaching by water.
Cerros (as it is locally referred to) can be reached by a short boat ride from Corozal Town. Boats can be hired in town from your hotel guest services. Additionally one can drive to Cerros by road from Corozal Town and Orange Walks. Depending from which direction you will pass picturesque New River and lagoons as well as the villages of Chunox, Progresso and Copper Bank.
This site is located on the west side of Cerros, therefore not getting the sea breezes at Cerros Sands. It is advisable to use insect repellent and, if possible, long sleeve shirts and trousers.
Opening Hours 365 days in the year from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
Fees & reservations
Belizeans: BZD $5.00 Non-Belizeans: $10.00 Belizeans enter FREE on Sundays and Public and Bank Holidays. School Groups, Government officials need to contact the IA office prior to their visit for official Pass for this site.