1. When buying Belize real estate, you must get over your fear of market escalation! Belize property values are healthy, homes are luxurious and affordable and since real estate taxes are just 1.5-percent of the unimproved value of your purchase, your tax tab could be a staggering $100 annually. Now that’s a dissuader for sure.
2. Belize weather is idyllic year-round, so you would be forced to give up the thrill of having your driveway filled with street snow with each passing truck and kiss goodbye ice-covered lawns thick enough to stage hockey games. Instead, you’ll have to find a way to live with persistent, comfy temperatures and the occasional shower.
3. You’ll miss spending a fortune on wardrobe items like overcoats, mittens, snow pants, boots, ice trekkers, mufflers and earmuffs almost as much as you’ll miss colds, flu and allergies triggered by germs, microbes and viruses that stick to every surface just long enough for you to pick them up and carry them home.
4. There’s a serious risk that you could become accustomed to the Belizean lifestyle. Who wants to spend fun-filled days experiencing natural wonders, aquatic sports, socializing with like-minded folks and learning about a culture that’s both intriguing and colorful when you could be back home bucking traffic, crowds and stress?
5. Why would you say yes to Belize’s retirement program and all of the perks to which you’re entitled when your cost of living could be cut dramatically as a direct result of this unique program? And who wouldn’t be smart enough to avoid ultra-fresh produce and seafood when preservative-infused foods on supermarket shelves will do?
6. The sacrifices you make if you move to Belize are daunting: disconnecting from fast-food joints, shopping malls and $5-per-cup designer coffees. And why ever would you want to run a small business that’s relatively tax free from your oceanfront home when you could be commuting to work by rail, bus or traffic jam instead?
7. Finally, does it make any sense to move to an ex-pat community like Cerros Sands where infrastructure and design exceed U.S. standards thanks to the developer who insists on quality design and construction? Of course, if you’re living in an older house that’s far from any seashore and you love making pricey repairs and updates, there’s probably no way to convince you to move to Belize anyway.